Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A God of Miracles

There is a truth in my heart that won't be silent: our God is a God of miracles. 

Recently, I've been a reading a book series by Karen Kingsbury called the Baxter Family; it delves into the every day life of a family of seven. Over the course of several series, the family suffers tremendous loss, heartache, and suffering. But, they also witness miracles firsthand. I came across a passage several weeks ago where a certain character was reflecting on his life and remembering all the miracles God had done in his family. It stirred something within me, and I began to look at my own life, searching for the acts of grace that had been bestowed upon those I love. The deeper I searched, the stronger this truth resonated within me. Our God is a God of miracles! Despite what this world so often tells us, He cares about the details of our lives, and He has not been missing from one single moment. 

My life started with a miracle. Conceived out of wedlock, my mother felt hopeless and ashamed, unsure of how she would handle the humiliation and responsibility that came with her situation. Understandably so, the word abortion kept coming to mind. It was by the grace of God, and conversations with both my grandfather and dad, that she chose to keep her unborn child. And, so, on December 21, 1989, I was born.


In a way, my life was a two-fold miracle. My mom was saved from a life of drugs and emptiness and rededicated her life to the Lord in June of 1989. My dad accepted Jesus as his Savior the same month and began to make some changes in his life, as well. Although the pregnancy was "unwanted," God knew what he had in store: a grace-filled miracle!


Despite a rocky start, my parents chose to work on their marriage. They would be the first ones to tell you that their early years were filled with anger and hurt. However, the love that they now share can only be defined by a miracle of God. In our culture today, people choose to walk away from the lifelong commitments that they've made without blinking an eye. Marriage is not a sacred covenant in our culture, and it can be difficult to find those who have stood firm against the storm. My parents did this with God's strength and have left a legacy that is undeniable for their children and mine.


When I was still in grade school, my mom, sister, and I were in a car accident on the way to school. We had been traveling behind a bus and, consequentially, were difficult to spot by a driver in the opposite lane. We were hit by a vehicle that was turning in an intersection; the entire front passenger side caved in around my seat. The police officers had to remove me via the back seat and later told my mom that if either us or the other vehicle had been going just 5 mph more, I would most likely have died upon impact. What a miracle!


In August of 2011, my dad fell off a fourteen-foot wall at work. While pouring concrete, the hose snapped and literally flung him off the wall like a rag doll. He fell outside the wall, missing rebar and rocks, face down on the ground. None of his crew knew CPR, but the Lord had already set his plan in motion long before this day. A man named Jamie had just started a new job with a trucking company that provided my dad's business with concrete. He had just pulled onto the job site when he saw my dad fall off the wall. He immediately dialed 9-1-1 and ran to help. Out of the roughly fifteen men that were there that day, Jamie was the only one who knew CPR, which he had learned several years prior during boy scouts with his son. He was able to remember the steps which ultimately saved my dad's life. (Did I mention it was only Jamie's second day on the job? God did that!) Not only was Jamie's presence a miracle, but the fact that my dad only suffered minor injuries was a testimony to the power of prayer and God's intervention. 


My in-laws have one of the greatest stories of redemption. Several years into their marriage, an affair brought to light the unmet needs and hurts that had been riding beneath the surface for far too long. They chose to go their separate ways via a divorce; but God was not done with them yet! A year later, they remarried and began the painful journey of forgiveness, choosing to lay aside their hurt for the miracle they believed God was going to bring to them and their children. Because of their willingness to fight, they have laid the foundation for commitment and communication in my own marriage. 


My sister-in-law, Melissa, had a son named Dylan when she was only sixteen. My mother-in-law was able to witness the birth, as she had been asked to film and take pictures. Several years later, Nate's brother, Caleb, fell in love with Melissa and asked her to marry him. Shortly after they were married, he adopted Dylan as his own. Little had they known that day in the hospital that Melissa and Dylan would one day be a part of their family! God worked a miracle by giving Dylan a father that loves him and cares for him in a way that a father would love his own son.


My grandfather, Uria Shetler, went to be with the Lord on May 19th, 2012, after 20 years of Parkinson's Disease, cancer, and dementia. Not only was his healing a miracle that day, but the fact that he was surrounded by every single one of his thirteen children, despite them being scattered all over the world. 


My sister-in-law, Hilary, underwent infertility treatments for five years. In 2015, she became pregnant with twins after years of waiting. When we found out that one of the twins had anencephaly, a fatal brain disorder, we were confused as to what God was doing. However, the day Grace was born, there was no denying the love and unity that she brought to the family. God performed a miracle right before our eyes, as we laughed and cried together, sang together, and prayed together. God was there. Another miracle happened that day. Despite being born at 33 weeks, Anna was 5 pounds, which is nearly unheard of, especially for a twin. Not to mention, she needed no supplemental oxygen, and Hilary was able to do skin-to-skin with both girls at the same time. What a beautiful motherhood miracle.


On November 14, 2013, my sister, Stephanie, gave life to a beautiful baby girl, Kaci Jean. Her pregnancy, although unexpected, caused her to walk away from a life of addiction and hopelessness. God did a miracle by revealing unconditional love to Stephanie; it was tangible as our family surrounded her and supported her despite her circumstance. 


Several years ago, Nate and I were in the midst of paying off our debt. My goal had been to pay off the remaining debt prior to the first of the year, but after several unexpected things happened, we knew it was a bit beyond our reach. On the Sunday before Christmas, someone handed Nate a card; when he brought it home, he was speechless as he handed it to me. Inside was the exact amount of money that we needed to pay off our debt. God knew what my desires were that year and he provided a miracle!


On December 19, 2015, God did a miracle right in front of my eyes. I had been in labor for nine hours when suddenly my son's heart rate dropped to the 60's and then disappeared completely. For ten minutes, the nurses frantically implemented interventions and searched to regain the sound of his heart, until finally it reappeared. After Strong was born, he wasn't breathing, and, again, the nurses did what they do best. God was with them that day as they worked on his little body, and he began to cry. God gave us a healthy baby boy; what a miracle!


I hope this spurs you to take a look at your own life. The discovery of miracles, big and small, has been life changing on my outlook and prayer life. So often, I am tempted to look at my circumstance and only see what the world sees: disillusionment, hopelessness, fear, discouragement, and doubt. But, when I look at my situation through the lens of God's miracles, my perspective is shifted to one that is filled with trust and hope.  


Often when we read in the Old Testament, prayers are filled with reminders of the things that God has already done. I want this to be a habit of mine, to be ingrained in every fiber of my being, to look for the miracles that God has done as a reminder that He is faithful. I've felt it beginning to bring boldness to my prayers, as I remind God of the things He has already accomplished; it's my testimony for the things I'm believing Him for today. 


So, what miracles has God done in your life?


P.S. A song that I've been playing on repeat lately is called Miracles by Jesus Culture. Chris Quilala wrote it after his only son was stillborn at 37 weeks. Although him and his wife prayed desperately for a miracle, they buried their son days later. But, despite their loss, they chose to proclaim the truth that God is still a God of miracles. What faith!


2 comments:

  1. What wonderful timing for me to read this. We watched Miracles from Heaven last night and I was telling Aaron that I struggle to ask God for healings because even though I know He can and does, I have doubts that He actually will. This really helped me because I too can look back and see the miracles God has done in our lives and I should not doubt He would do more if only I asked. Thank you for sharing �� Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla--

    I'm so glad I got to meet you the other week. Thanks for sharing this powerful testimony, you have an incredible story to tell! God is so so good; I love seeing stories of His goodness, redemption, and unending faithfulness at work in the lives of His children. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete